Ok, I couldn’t resist, but instead of going through the old recipes first I wanted to post a recipe which I made in my new kitchen. What I love about my new kitchen is the fact that it’s huge!! Downside, the oven isn’t what I’m used to, it’s a little bit to basic for me.
So, next saving goal: proper oven!! Preferably one I can use with a tray that slides in instead of one that’s basically a microwave with an oven function. So this one was a bit of a hassle, I put the baking tray in first, took it out 10 minutes early, put in the bread and after that let the vegetables finish.
What do you need (2 servings)
- 1 eggplant
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large can of chickpeas’ (I used dried ones)
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato puree (70 gr.)
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of Harissa (middle eastern hot sauce)
- 250 ml of vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- Pre-heat your oven at 200 degrees Celsius, Cut the eggplant into 1/2 cm thick slices, sprinkle with olive oil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, turning them halfway.
- Cut onion and garlic into pieces and bake in some vegan butter until the onion is soft, add the cumin powder and fry for another minute. Add the chickpeas’ and get them covered with the cumin. Transfer this into an oven dish.
- Top with the eggplant.
- Mix the tomatoes, puree, basil, vegetable stock, Harissa and some pepper. Bring to a boil and let it thicken for a few minutes. Transfer to the oven dish
- Bake for 45 minutes in the oven.
I served this with some bread, but I think this could work with some grains like bulgur or spelt.