This was one of the last recipes I cooked at my old house. You can tell by the picture, at that point I didn’t have a table anymore (I sold that) so I took this picture with my plate on a side table next to the heater.
This Vegan Shepherd Pie was something that I wanted to cook for a long time, but never found a recipe that I really really loved, I actually got to the point where I just wanted to replace the ‘animal’ parts in a normal recipe with vegan options. Instead, I just came up with a recipe myself. Using dried chickpeas’ which I soaked for a few hours. I say: experiment successful!!
What do you need (3-4 servings)
- 800 gr. sweet potatoes
- 600 gr. of carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 400 gr. of mushrooms
- 2 large cans of chickpeas’
- Panko or breadcrumbs
- 100 ml of vegetable stock
- Splash of milk (optional)
- Peel te potatoes and cook in a largo pot of water until soft, drain water and leave to cool down a bit.
- Chop onions and carrots into 1/2 thick pieces, crush the garlic with the side of your knife. Cut the mushrooms in half if you have big ones and cut into slices.
- Take a large deep pan and heat some vegan butter. Add the garlic, onions and carrots and bake until soft. Add the mushrooms and bake for another few minutes. Add chickpeas’, spices and vegetable stock and leave to simmer for a few minutes until the chickpeas’ are nice and warm.
- Meanwhile, mash the potatoes with some pepper and salt (add some milk if you want).
- Transfer the vegetables to a baking dish, spread the mash over the top and cover with panko or bread crust.
- Put in an pre-heated (175 degrees celsius) for about 10 minutes. Turn on the grill after that and leave to crisp for another 5 minutes.