Yes, normally Sunday is reserved for #30dayblogchallenge, but with all the stuff that has been going on over the last few weeks I haven’t gotten around to posting a lot, or writing for that matter. So I didn’t have any of those post ready and I’ve been lacking on my food-posts. So today I’m posting a recipe which I made a few weeks ago. For me, a vegan version. For the Mr. I used meat.
For me, this is also a perfect recipe to show people that being vegan doesn’t mean you’re only eating salads. I mean, can you tell there isn’t any dead animal in this? I sure can’t!!
What do you need? (2 servings)
- 600 gr. potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 package of vegan ground beef (I used cooked soy chunks)
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of salsa (I used store bought)
- 70 gr. of tomato puree
- 2 slices of
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Paprika Powder
- salt and pepper
- Start with the fries since they need a few hours to soak. Peel the potatoes and cut into fries, I made mine nice and chunky (they do need a little longer to bake). Put the fries in a bowl and cover with water. Leave to soak for at least 2 hours.
- Rinse and pat the fries so they are nice and dry, pre-heat oven to 220 degrees Celcius. Mix fries with oil, garlic powder and paprika and put everything in the oven for about 25 minutes. They should turn nice and golden brown on the outside but still soft on the inside.
- While that is baking, start with your chilli. Put the vegan ground beef in a pan with some oil and bake for a few minutes. Add the sliced onion and the clove of garlic. Fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chillies, cumin, salt, pepper and salsa. Turn down the heat and leave to simmer until the fries are done, adding a little bit of water if it becomes to dry.
- Take out the fries and preheat the grill in your oven. Spoon the chilli on top and cover with vegan cheddar cheese. Grill for about 5 minutes till the cheese is nice and brown.
Serve with some pan fried vegetables or a nice green salad. Perfect food for a saturday night before having a movie night with your boyfriend/girlfriend I’d say!