When I first went vegetarian my mom was kinda confused, since she didn’t know what to cook me. When I turned vegan she got even more confused. But after a while, maybe ‘infected’ by me she started experimenting more and more with diffrent kinds of food. Even making the jump to vegetarian meals every now and then (“there are already 4 eggs in this dish, why would I add more bacon”). Since she know’s I’m not a big fan of meatreplacements she even buys my some tofu to cook with. This is a vegan adaptation of a meal she liked to cook. For herself, my stepdad and my brother she cooks this with chicken. But this is something she came up with herself, that why I call this recipe ‘Mama’s hot tofu’.
What do you need (4 servings)
- 1 large block of tofu (450 gr. packed weight)
- 1,5 cup of soy sauce
- 30 ml of agave
- 500 gr. of red onion
- 2 large tablespoon of sambal
- Cut the onion in halves and slice into 1/4 cm thick rings. Cut the tofu into 1×1 cm cubes
- Heat some oil in a pan a fry the tofu until it starts to brown. Take it out of the pan en set a side.
- Heat some vegan butter in that same pan and add the onion’s. Bake until soft.
- Add the soy-sauce, agave and sambal and give it a good stir. Add the tofu and leave to simmer for a few minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
Serve with some fried rice and vegetables. Don’t add to much spice to that, this one is hot enough.