So yesterday the Mr. was out for a company outing so I was left to take care of my own dinner. While he is ok with most of my vegan cooking there are some things that are a bit too much for him. Nutritional Yeast was one of them, Seitan is the other.
I swear, this is the best way to cook seitan from now on!! Before I used to cook it in water or vegetable stock, but really… baking it in the oven makes a fluffy, chewy type of seitan which is just perfect. I’m a fan!!
Okey, oven and grill might not sound like BBQ, but you could just skip the grill part and fix this on the bbq if you want. I wouldn’t skip the part in the oven though…
Doesn’t this look pretty, I wish I had the cushions from the outside seating up, but I didn’t feel like taking the stairs down again to get them.
What do you need (1 serving)
- 25 gr. of seitan fix (or your own)
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of tamarind
- Few drops of liquid smoke
- 30 ml of Char Siu Sauce (or any other BBQ-sauce)
- Start by mixing the wet ingredients and set a side. In a different bowl, mix seitan and spices and add to the liquids. Mix with a fork until it starts to form a ball, add some more water if needed.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius and take a baking tray and cover with baking paper. Transfer the seitan and bake in the oven until done. Make sure it’s nice and flat before baking.
- When done, turn on the grill and cover the seitan with the BBQ sauce. Grill for a few minutes.
I served this with some noodles and steamed broccoli, but I’m sure this would be great on a bun with some salad on the side